By the late 1930s, Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary had grown, despite the hardships of the Great Depression, and required larger facilities than the Northeast Minneapolis location offered. Fortunately, a group of historic mansions in South Minneapolis, near the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, became available. In 1940, Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary relocated to these homes. Passavant Hall, named for the great Lutheran churchman, W.A. (William Alfred) Passavant, had been the home of the Charles Pillsbury family whose fortune had been made in the milling industry. Back of photograph reads: NLTS, Former Pillsbury Mansion, Passavant Hall, #10, Photo 2 of 8.
American Lutheranism, Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary (1920-1982), Luther Seminary (1994-present), Passavant Hall, William A. Passavant