Augsburg Seminary was founded in Marshall, Wisconsin, in 1869 by the Scandinavian Augustana Synod to serve the Norwegian churches in that body. The Norwegians split from that body in 1870 and formed two church bodies: the Norwegian Augustana Synod and the Conference for the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, commonly called "the Conference." The Conference gained control of Augsburg Seminary and moved it to Minneapolis in 1872 to a site near the University of Minnesota. The original structure was destroyed by fire and the structure shown here was erected around 1900. This photo appears in the booklet: "Many members one body" published for the Lutheran Intersynodical Seminary Conference, Augsburg Seminary, Minneapolis, Minnesota, November 27-29, 1931.
Norwegian American Lutheranism, Augsburg Seminary (1893-1962), Luther Seminary (1994-present), Conference for the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Old Main (Augsburg Seminary)